Cristina Mota graduated in Informatics and Computer Engineering in 1997 from Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), Lisbon, and received a DEA (Diplome d'Etude Approfondies) degree in 1999, on Fundamental Informatics and Applications, from Université Paris 7 - Denis-Diderot. Since 2005, she is pursuing a PhD degree on Informatics and Computer Engineering at Instituto Superior Técnico in collaboration with New York University.
She started working in Natural Language Processing, on computational lexicons and grammars, in 1997 at LabEL (Laboratório de Engenharia da Linguagem) where she stayed till 2004. Between 2002 and 2003 she also worked for Linguateca. She has been a researcher at the Spoken Language Systems Lab (L2F) of INESC-ID since 2005.
From 1999 to 2003 she was a Teaching Assistant in Applications in Natural Language Processing, and Computational Linguistics II classes, at Faculdade de Letras, Universidade de Lisboa.
Her main research interests in natural language processing are finite-state techniques and unsupervised machine learning methods applied to information extraction, in particular, named entity recognition.
INESC ID Information
Cristina Maria Gonçalves Malheiro da Silva Mota
Connection: Associated Researcher
Academic Degree: PhD
- Cristina Mota, Jorge Baptista, Anabela Barreiro, Formalizing Natural Languages with NooJ 2018 and Its Natural Language Processing Applications, chapter The Lexicon-Grammar of Predicate Nouns with 'ser de' in Port4NooJ, Springer Cham, December 2018
- Cristina Mota, Lucília Chacoto, Anabela Barreiro, Formalizing Natural Languages with NooJ and Its Natural Language Processing Applications , chapter Integrating the Lexicon-Grammar of Predicate Nouns with Support Verb 'fazer' into Port4NooJ, Springer Cham, December 2017
- Rebelo-Arnold, Ida, Anabela Barreiro, Paulo Quaresma, Cristina Mota, Alinhamentos Parafrásticos PE--PB de Construções de Predicados Verbais com o Pronome Clítico 'lhe', Linguamática, Universidade do Minho and Universidade de Vigo, vol. 10, n. 2, pages 3-11, December 2018
- Anabela Barreiro, Rebelo-Arnold, Ida, Jorge Baptista, Cristina Mota, Parafraseamento Automático de Registo Informal em Registo Formal na Língua Portuguesa, Linguamática, Universidade do Minho and Universidade de Vigo, vol. 10, n. 2, pages 53-61, December 2018
- Anabela Barreiro, Cristina Mota, e-PACT: eSPERTo Paraphrase Aligned Corpus of EN-EP/BP Translations, Tradução em Revista, PUC-Rio, vol. 1, n. 22, pages 87-102, Rio de Janeiro, August 2017
- Rebelo-Arnold, Ida, Anabela Barreiro, Cristina Mota, Paulo Quaresma, EPBP Paraphrastic Alignments Verbal Predicate Constructions with the Clitic Pronoun lhe, In 13th edition of the International Conference on the Computational Processing of Portuguese (PROPOR 2018), PROPOR 2018, Proceedings of the First Workshop on Linguistic Tools and Resources for Paraphrasing in Portuguese (POP@PROPOR 2018), Brazil, September 2018
- Anabela Barreiro, Rebelo-Arnold, Ida, Cristina Mota, Isabel Garcez, Automated Paraphrasing of Portuguese Informal into Formal Language, In 13th edition of the International Conference on the Computational Processing of Portuguese (PROPOR 2018), PROPOR 2018, August 2018
- Anabela Barreiro, Cristina Mota, Paraphrastic Variance between European and Brazilian Portuguese, In The 27th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING 2018), COLING 2018, Proceedings of the Fifth Workshop on NLP for Similar Languages, Varieties and Dialects (VarDial 2018), Santa Fe, New Mexico, August 2018
- Cristina Mota, Anabela Barreiro, Francisco Afonso Raposo, Ricardo Ribeiro, Sérgio dos Santos Lopes Curto, Luísa Coheur, eSPERTo Paraphrastic Knowledge Applied to Question-Answering and Summarization, In NooJ 2016: Automatic Processing of Natural-Language Electronic Texts with NooJ, Springer International Publish, vol. 667, series Communications in Computer and Information Science, pages 208-220, doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-55002-2_18, June 2016
- Cristina Mota, Journalistic corpus similarity over time, In Corpus linguistic applications: Current studies, new directions, Rodopi, vol. 71, series Language and Computers, pages 67-83, March 2010
- Cristina Mota, Ralph Grishman, Is this NE tagger getting old, In Proceedings of the Sixth International Language Resources and Evaluation - LREC 2008), European Language Resources Association (ELRA), pages 28-30, Marrakech, Morocco, May 2008
- Cristina Mota, Paula Carvalho, O passar do TEMPO no HAREM, Linguamática - Revista para o Processamento Automático das Línguas Ibéricas, vol. 1, n. 3, pages 45-58, April 2011
- Jorge Baptista, Fernando Batista, Nuno J. Mamede, Cristina Mota, Npro: um novo recurso para o processamento computacional do Português, In XXI Encontro APL, Porto, Portugal, December 2005